6.27.2007

This week in Training

[Originally Posted: 5/21/2007]

So in the week before my wedding training has taken a back seat.

Highlights this week were Golf on Sunday, a few sessions in the gym, and a couple of sessions on the exercise ball.

At the gym I did my normal stair mill workouts but recently I've started using a new method called Fartlek.

This is a process of warming up then increasing the tempo substantially for a short duration then returning to a maintainable tempo and then repeating. I come away from the session fairly fatigued but I also feel the affects of the workout for most of the day. The other part I feel is if I take a day off before the next workout I really feel stronger. It was surprising at first but a pleasant surprise.

I am new to the exercise ball but Mandi has shown me a few workouts and we're still exploring this new tool/toy... I primarily use it for trunk training. I have a history of back pain so I'm really looking for something to help me with core strength. I know this is certainly valuable on a mountain, but I'm also hoping it'll appease my back pain somewhat.

So the wedding is Saturday, off we go honeymooning on Sunday for a week, so I see a few added LB's in my near future. But on my return to San Diego I'll be going into full blown training mode for the next six months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is odd about resting for a day, i have found that one day of rest makes me feel stronger too. i thought it would make it have to try harder to make up for the day i lost, but it has the opposite affect. good luck honey.