11.12.2007

Back into the clouds...

Whew boy! Summit was cold yesterday! But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I went up to Mt. Baldy yesterday. I got up and 4AM and left at 5AM. It was a bit surreal getting up and making breakfast alone while Sam and Mandi slept; and not just a little bit sad and lonely. I was on the road on time and got to the Baldy Visitor Center at 6:45. The Ranger there was already opening up shop so I went in to get my Adventure Pass. I found out that since it was Veterans Day I didn't need a pass. Cool!

On the drive up I decided to listen to the Comedy station on Sirius instead of the Music stations I usually listen to. I couldn't seem to shake my melancholy-ness...

I was at the trail head by 7:15 and on the trail by 7:30. I knew that I wanted to push the pace somewhat but I also knew I was going to be on the trail for 6-7 hours so I wanted to be smart about it. I started with a good steady pace that kept my heart rate up in the 130's to 140's. I can do this pretty much all day. I was carrying a good 50 pounds in my big Gregory pack, perhaps a little more.

I hit the turnoff to the Ski Hut trail and it gets steep here, of course I had to slow down. But I was pushing pretty good and I was feeling strong. I decided my schedule would be to hike for an hour to an hour and a half then rest for 10 to 15 minutes. This is similar to the schedules we'll try to keep on the mountains. I stopped at 1 hour when I found a nice tree to sit on. I recently picked up some Hammer E-Caps so I took one of those and ate a little. I kept my jacket on until it was time to go then I took that off and packed it. Now I really was acting like I was climbing hehe... Since I was alone I listened to my iPod all the way to the top.

I was going good and passed two young couples who were hiking up in jeans. They commented that I was carrying a big pack! I told them it was heavy too... Seems like everyone that I went by remarked on the size of my pack. I was something of the oddball up there.

I got to the top about 10 minutes to 11 in 3 hours and 20 minutes. It was 42 degrees, my shirt was soaked. Interestingly I was on top by myself for about 10 minutes. I changed quickly in the biting wind and huddled down behind a rock wind-break. I tried to eat a little bit but with my gloves off it was just wasn't any fun up there. I had told Mandi I'd call her from the top if I could. The call failed a couple times so I pecked out a quick email with painful hands on my Blackberry then I packed up and got out of there! The summit was completely in the clouds by then.

I headed down at a pretty good pace but I kept slipping on the steep scree and loose rocks. So then I added a profane commentary to my hike down. I got to use all them really good bad words that aren't always appropriate at a dinner party...

I got to my truck right around 1:30PM making the up and down in 6 hours. Pretty good considering last time up, before the fires, I carried 35 pounds or so and whole trip took a little more than 7 hours. Last time with less weight I made it up in 3:45 so I feel pretty good about the effort. I will say I'm a little tighter a day later than last time though. However, if I had to I could go back up today.

Assessments:
I would like to get up Baldy at least once more before my trip, maybe even twice if my schedule will allow.
I think the e-Caps helped somewhat but for about 20 minutes above 9000' I felt like i wanted to puke a bit. I felt better as I got closer to the summit and felt fine, other than cold, on the summit.
No blisters.
I think the food needs more thought. I was hungry when I got down but didn't really want to eat any more of the food I had. I had some pretty good trail mix, some Gouda Cheese, Fig Newtons, and some granola type bars. I really had a craving for Cheezits. I couldn't find my apple either, that would have been good too.

Back in the gym today. I'd really like to get in two solid weeks of training before 11/30 but Turkey Day may get in the way of that just a bit.

R

1 comment:

mandiman said...

I'm sorry you felt lonely and melancholy. :( I meant to get up with you before you left at 5am. I'm not sure me going with you is a good thing or not. I don't want to mess up your training. And that trail coming down SUCKS!!!!! Then again, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have blisters on both feet.
I love you and know you will kick ass in Ecuador!