11.28.2007

Reflections on training

Okay, we're down to the nitty gritty. I'll be in the gym at least one more time before Friday morning but that work out is probably more to keep me sane and help me sleep than anything else.

I started this blog all those months ago to help me track my progress through my training. Well, lets take a look at where we've come from and where we are.

In May when I started this my weight was exactly the same as it is now. I have not lost more than 5 pounds in the 6+ months of training.

I started training on the stationary bike and stair mill at the gym. 30 minutes at level 10 on the stairs was painful and difficult to finish. Last week I did 60 minutes at level 11 and 12 and while I was worked I went back the next day and did 45 minutes of intervals at level 13. This week I did 50 minutes at level 11 and read the whole time.

It's harder to quantify any gains I've made in my ability to hike with a backpack because I didn't do any hiking early on. However a day walking around NYC and Yellowstone did tucker me a bit... I have done Mt. Baldy several times now with loads from 35 to 50 pounds and I have cruised right up that mountain.

When I go up and down stairs my legs feel loose and springy. I just feel a little different when I walk around. In the mirror I notice more definition and mass in my leg muscles.

My back still hurts in the mornings but 20 to 30 minutes of walking around or a shower and it starts to loosen up. It never stays tight all day which it used to for days at a time. So while I'm not pain free I do feel better.

I have strengthened my neck and core muscles somewhat but again it's hard to quantify that.

Do I feel I am where I wanted to be? No. But the way I am I'm not sure I ever could be.

Do I feel ready? Yes, I do. Last weekend on Baldy was not challenging at all other than the weather. I knew then that I was ready.

Will I suffer and feel pain in Ecuador? I'm absolutely certain of it. That's how this game works.

What would I have liked to have done differently? The biggest thing I can think of is I wish I could have modified my diet and have stuck with it. Really my weight is the only thing I wish I could have done better with. I'm not unhappy with my weight, I'm just going to be carrying a few more pounds up these mountains than I had hoped.

Ciao,
R

No comments: